Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Tuesday, December 4th

"I praise you because you are my favorite." I'm your favorite? "No, I praise you because you are my favorite with the children." This was our conversation on the way to therapy. I still don't know what she really meant, since we both gave up shortly after that and moved onto something else. Although Joanne is doing so well and improving every day, as we start to get into a 'normal' routine, it can sometimes be difficult to communicate in a completely normal way. I am finding that my own patience is being challenged now. I am accustomed to Joanne being ten paces in front and checking off the third item on the to do list, before I have even processed the list myself. I am finding that I have to stop what I am doing and focus on what she is trying to say. I guess it's God working on MY need to slow down and not be so task driven now.

This week will be my last full week home before returning to work. I am using the time to finalize all the therapy sessions for the upcoming weeks, confirming rides to and from and arranging for someone to be with Joanne during the day. She doesn't really need anyone there to help, but I think it is good for her not to be completely alone during the day. I am also
using this week to take care of all those annoying extra task. I broke a tooth a couple of weeks ago and have been holding off on having it fixed until we were settled at home. The dog needs to go to the vet and I need to do few things around the house. I had such grand plans for all the things I was going to do once Joanne was home...I haven't started a single one. But, there is always later... tomorrow... next week.

It has been nice having visitors. We do enjoy opening our home to guests. I have enjoyed seeing Joanne sitting with a cup of tea talking to friends. As you all know, she is always so busy even at home, that she rarely would sit long enough to have a talk over tea. I do have one small request regarding the wonderful meals we are receiving, and that is, please don't bring so much. We can't eat as much as is being made. Our freezer is full and I don't want to waste the food. And at the risk of sounding ungrateful, please no more spaghetti and ziti. We can't possibly eat all of the huge pans you have all so thoughtfully made for us. But, thank you, thank you for being so generous and so loving to our family during this time. I am still amazed at the out pouring of love we continue to receive. I think I mentioned this before, with all the things everyone is doing for us, all the praying for us, all the encouraging words and talk about the blog, Isabel said, "It's like we are famous or something." But I told her we are not famous... just loved. Keep praying for us because it is what is keeping us going. Prayer. Does a body good.